Our acceptable uniform items are provided by The Warehouse, Balclutha (or online at www.thewarehouse.co.nz/c/schools/the-catlins-area-schoolo.nz/c/schools, through the school office (Year 1-8 polo shirts and senior student soft shell jackets), and from www.truefleece.co.nz for ¼ zip merino jerseys.
Top: Navy crested polo shirt
Bottom: Choice from - Plain navy skort, skirt, drill shorts, pants, track pants (examples can be viewed at thewarehouse.co.nz/c/schools/the-catlins-area-school) No visible logos, ‘stubby’ style shorts.
Socks: Choice from - Plain navy, black or white ankle socks (not sports socks), navy school socks with gold bands, navy or black stockings or over the knee socks.
Shoes: Years 1-6 Any school suitable shoes, the main colour of the shoe should be black. Years 7-8 Black nuggetable school shoes due to Tech and Lab work. [No boots, high-tops, ballet style or canvas for any age]. Click here for a Year 7-8 shoe guide.
For warmth: Choice from - Navy ¼ zip fleece with or without crest, navy ¼ zip merino, plain navy, black or white thermal or skivvy worn under polo shirt, plain navy or black scarf.
For warmth outside class: Softshell jacket (available both through school and The Warehouse), plain black or navy coat/puffer jacket, navy beanie hat.
For sun protection outside class: Plain navy bucket hat or wide-brimmed hat (Terms 1 and 4 compulsory).
Top: White shirt, long or short sleeves, tucked in unless ‘darted’. Optional tie (purchase through school, must be worn with blazer).
Bottom: Choice from - Plain navy drill shorts or pants (Cargo or track-style pants are not acceptable), Napier Tartan Kilt or Triple Pleat Skirt (correct items can be viewed at thewarehouse.co.nz/c/schools/the-catlins-area-school).
Socks: Choice from - Plain navy, black or white ankle socks (not sports socks), navy school socks with gold bands (must be worn with shorts), navy or black stockings or over the knee socks.
Shoes: Black nuggetable school shoes - no boots, hi-tops, ballet style or canvas.
Click here for a shoe guide.
For warmth: Choice from - Navy V-Neck wool jersey or vest with crest, Navy blazer with crest (pre-order from The Warehouse), Navy ¼ zip fleece with or without crest, navy ¼ zip merino, plain navy, black or white thermal or skivvy worn undershirt, plain navy or black scarf.
For warmth outside class: Soft shell jacket (available both through school and The Warehouse), plain black or navy coat/puffer jacket, navy beanie hat.
For sun protection outside class: Plain navy bucket hat or wide-brimmed hat (optional).
School PE shirt (available through the school office), plain black PE shorts or athletics pants, non-marking sports shoes, optional school hoodie (available through the school office). Tracksuits are available for use at outside sporting events and will be distributed as needed (wash before return, $2 donation per use).
Uniform and Grooming Standards
Every student will wear correct uniform. This applies to students who are:
- Attending the school (except for Year 13 students with special permission)
- Travelling to or from school
- Attending school functions
- Representing the school
- Identifiable as The Catlins Area School students in a public place.
School uniform items, such as trousers, skirts and blouses must not be modified. Tapering trousers and narrowing blouses and skirts is not permitted. Modified items will need to be replaced.
The school is judged in public by the uniform standards shown by students. We value the support of parents to ensure the standards are adhered to as agreed upon enrolment.
Incorrect uniform or a combination of school uniform, the sports uniform or mufti is unacceptable. Students not in correct uniform are required to have a note from home explaining the reason for their discrepancy and the note is to be handed to the house teacher for approval at the start of the day concerned. The house teacher, if appropriate, will issue the student with a temporary Uniform Pass.
Please ensure all items are labelled clearly with a name inside the garment.
Uniform or grooming exemptions for cultural or other reasons.
Exemptions from the uniform or grooming standards may be sought where its literal application could unduly infringe upon a student’s religious, cultural or other beliefs. Requests for exemptions from the general standards must be made in writing to the Principal and must state both the exemption sought and the belief which could be compromised if the exemption were not granted. The granting of any exemptions to the general standards shall be at the sole discretion of the principal.
Personal Appearance Standards
- Students must wear their hair tidy and styled in a conventional way. Standard hair accessories (e.g. hair ties) are permissible if navy, black or white.
- Hair must be clean and clear of the face and eyes.
- No unnatural colours, extreme colouring, or streaks and patches of colour.
- No spikes, skin-heads, Mohawks, or areas with greatly varying lengths
- No signs, letters, or symbols cut into the hair (or eyebrows).
- In the case of clipped hair, a No. 2 or above is acceptable.
Any issues about whether a hairstyle is compliant with these standards will be determined by the Principal, having regard to what would be generally be considered presentable for a person representing an organisation in public.
If the hair is below the shoulder line, it must be tied up.
Students must be clean-shaven at all times.
- Students may not wear makeup of any kind. If nail polish is worn, it must be colourless.
- Students are permitted to wear a pair of small, plain studs - one plain stud in the lower part of each earlobe. A plain small stud is metallic (gold/silver colour), or a pair of small, plain sleepers - one plain sleeper in the lower part of each earlobe. A small, plain sleeper is of less than 15mm in diameter. A plain, flat nose stud is permitted.
- No other visible body piercings are allowed.
- A wristwatch may be worn.
- Necklaces or items of cultural significance such as pounamu, if worn, must not be visible.
- No other jewellery is permitted.